[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Single Blade - Canoeists' Forum and WIKI • <!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->Moderator Control Panel • <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{ UCP } • <!-- ENDIF -->View topic - Who's Who: Bob Brown

Who's Who: Bob Brown

Who's Who: Bob Brown

Postby GregS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Bob Brown wrote:I got into canoe design because there were no good solo canoes on the market [...] The only solo canoes on the market at that time were by Gene Jensen, and they’re racers. Everything Gene designed is a racer; everything Dave Krueger designed is a racer. I wanted something other than a racing canoe and started playing around with my own designs.

I wanted something that would turn easier, number one; something that was more weatherly – not affected by wind nearly as much as the racers are and something that would handle waves better; and also something that was lighter.

Racing canoes, basically, are designed to fit the waterline dimensions that are established by the USCA racers or the pro class racers [...] I feel like the widest point on the boat should not be at the 4-inch water-line, it should be considerably higher in the boat, that makes the boat much more forgiving.

The interview notes the following Brown designs
  • C.J. (Cliff Jacobson) Solo
  • Ladyslipper (later Mad River Slipper)
  • Fusion (Bell)
  • Traveler (Bell)
  • Rendezvous (Wenonah)
  • Solo Plus (also Wenonah, but re-designed by Dave Kruger)

See Interview with Bob Brown.
GregS

Return to Who's Who - Boat Design / Manufacture / Distribution